Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Spring Breaks(the bad kind)

so it seems that spring brings many things in my life. in ohio its always meant the end of winter and the beginning(usually) of warmer weather after 5 months of cold and gray. it means colorful foliage, blue skies, all these good things. but more often than not it also means that i will sustain some kind of ridiculous injury which has been the custom the last...4 or 5 years as far as i can remember. and this year proved to be no different.
since being here in Venezuela Ive successfully managed to avoid any kind of serious injury. even after taking up soccer for the first time in my life, and adjusting to the ridiculously slippery basketball courts. i've been fine. until 2 weeks ago at the National Conference. we were playing soccer in a small field, we had just won our first match and were on our way to winning the second when one of the students boots the ball way over the net into never never land. being the closest one to the ball i decide to take off after it and unfortunately, to my surprise, i found of the holes in the lawn where the sprinkler system is. bam. in a split second i was done. this pretty much sums it up...

my right foot managed to hit half of the hole which caused me with my full weight to roll my ankle all the way into the hole, thankfully avoiding the sprinkler head.
long story short, after a few days of having my foot in a bucket of ice i was walking around for the next week like a gimp, and my foot was about 1 and a half times the size of the other. and after not seeing any improvement in the week i finally came to my senses and decided to go see the doctor. after and X-ray and a quick look, the doctor told me that i had a small distal fracture of my tibia and had partially torn two ligaments in my ankle. awesome. in my 23 years of life ive never broken anything besides my nose. the doc did say that i was lucky and about 1/10 of an inch away from needing surgery to fix everything, which would have meant going back to the US and getting all of that done. i should have listened to Kobe
so yeah. i love spring, minus the large holes in the ground. unfortunately this is hindering me form really doing my job and getting on campus every day since im not supposed to walk, and the boot that i have is just uncomfortable, especially because its so dang hot here. on the brighter side, it has given me a lot of time to read some good stuff, listen to alot of good stuff.
but im counting down the days/weeks(2 weeks and 3 more days!!!) until i dont need the boot anymore and i can resume life as normal. a month is a long time.

No comments:

Post a Comment